techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
No, we will never need as many charges as gas pumps because of home charging (and charging at work is also getting more common).

We only need chargers at strategic locations for long trips to satisfy needs for the majority.
So let's say you take a trip and need to stay in a hotel overnight. When you get to the hotel you notice all 5 of the chargers are in use. Do you park and wait with the other 50 electric cars that also want one of the five spots? Or drive to a Tesla charging station and wait an hour or more to charge the car then go back to the hotel? Or maybe I can just leave it somewhere charging unattended and Uber back to the hotel then later back to the car?

None of these options are acceptable to most drivers. That is why I say for the vast majority of drivers with today's sparce charging infrastructure an EV is not an acceptable solution. EV's are still a toy for those with disposable income and enthusiasts who enjoy new technology.

Until charging is as easy as fueling most people that only care about getting from point A to point B couldn't care less what powertrain they do it with.
I agree.

That's why my EV cars are not considered road trip cars. Or at least not a long road trip.