Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I notice you didn't offer up examples of sport sedans on sale today or, even better, perhaps a set of criteria which you think can be used to distinguish sport sedans from other sedans on the market today. As such, it's not clear to me that there is anything objectively identifiable about BMW's products that make them less qualified to be deemed sport sedans than anyone else's.

Attributes that would increase the chance of a vehicle being classified as a "sports sedan" at least a "sporty sedan".

- Decent or above average acceleration
- Quick ratio steering
- Strong steering feedback
- Suspension that communicates the road to the driver
- Strong braking performance
- High levels of cornering ability
- Excellent handling characteristics
- A vehicle that gives the driver 'excitement' even with being driven at 5/10 capacity.

Adjectives describing a 'sports sedan'.

- Spritely
- Tossable
- Chuckable
- fun
- thrilling
- go kart
- smile enducing

List of cars I would consider more sporty and more fun to drive than the everyday 3 series:

Alfa Romeo Giula 2.0T
Ford Focus ST (I know it's no longer available in the USA)
MINI Hardtop S or JCW
MB CLA45
VW GTi (I know it's not technically a sedan)
Honda Civic Si

There are more that tend to be out of sync with the argument (Panamara, Lusso, et al) - but you get the drift.

Again - this is just my opinion, as well all know, but it's how I feel. BMW still builds amazing cars and I thoroughly enjoy most of their offering, but let's be honest here - they really are just fancy Camry these days. I've driven a Lexus and BMW back to back before, and can say - that in my opinion - the BMW was no more sporty.