GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
when it comes to squats and deadlifts I think each individual needs to customize their form to what feels right, as well as using proper fundamentals of course. Foot placement, shoe type. bar placement, how far down you squat, it all depends on what feels safe for me personally. If the weight is dictating my form, I stop.
Couldn't agree more - as I'm pushing 50 and started getting a few injuries (calf strain here, torn meniscus there, herniated disc on the flip side) I started asking myself what I was trying to accomplish ... so I dumped all of the supplements (especially blood sugar spiking BCAAs) and switched to more time-under-tension stuff, body weight stuff, etc. At first I hated it (change is tough) but now I can't imagine going back ...

I guess the lesson for me was, the older I get the more I risk a major injury I'm going to really really regret.

Watching the Ronnie Coleman doc convinced me (not that I'm qualified to be within 100 miles of a gym with Ronnie Coleman in it)

I'm also planning to do some traveling so need no-brainer routines I can do in a hotel room or outside without equipment (or with water jugs or whatever - 2 five galloners do a great job!)
Appreciate 1