07-18-2022, 10:17 PM   #4
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
You are right about the Taycan Turbo being quicker, which is no surprise. Car and Driver tested them both (it was a Turbo S, but aside from when using launch control, I think the Turbo has the same hp). With launch a non-factor, the Taycan did a rolling 5-60 mph in 2.9 seconds, the i4 did 3.5. (For reference, a ‘15 i8 did 4.6) I like that metric better than 0-60 because I will never use launch control on the street. I have owned 4 cars with that feature and have never used it once. As for 0-60, Car and Driver got 3.3 seconds for the i4 which is a very good time. I’m sure your Taycan is under 3 seconds. I don’t think my stomach can handle much more acceleration than that. When I test-drove a Taycan Turbo I did launch it twice, and frankly, it made me a little queasy. The i4 is quick enough for me and its size suits me better, in fact, I put my order in today. As for the grill, well…I’m hoping it grows on me.
I agree with you. The Taycan turbo's acceleration can easily make one experience g-force sickness by aggressively flooring it. Two things I've learned in order to avoid getting queasy with the Turbo model. Perhaps it applies to the i4-M50 as well. First, take a deep breath before launching. Second, ease into the acceleration when coming out of the turn, otherwise, the g-force from flooring it through the curve can easily trigger motion sickness. Yes, the i4-M50 is quick enough for me as well. More important, it will outhandle most EVs on the road today. I found it to be more engaging, taut, and precise in handling than even the Audi RS e-tron GT we test-drove. When it comes to your order, I hope Portimao blue is one of the colors you're considering, I was really taken by the test car's exterior color with blacked-out wheels.
Appreciate 0