View Single Post
      10-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #51
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyG View Post
I don't count work clothes as part of this discussion. Most people were talking about jeans and what seemed to be casual or going out attire. Sneakers, jeans, etc...

Even with work clothes I try not to spend too much as most of us aren't being reimbursed for buying a nicer suit. I refuse to pay large sums of money to look highly fashionable at work. You'd basically be working for the clothes that you wear to work. Dumb.
no, you aren't being paid to wear a nice suit. You are being paid to get things done. I've found that's easier to do when one is dressed properly. Being well dressed shows that you care about your image and the image of the people you represent. Now, "dressed properly" will depend on the industry. I have friends in advertising, and if I showed up to work looking like them, my credibility would take a pretty big hit. Of course, if I walked into their office wearing a bespoke suit they'd have a similar reaction.

That said you don't need to spend a ton of money, but you aren't going to get by on a couple hundred dollars a year, either.

The old adage of "Don't dress for the job you have, but for the one you want" is a good bit of advice.
Appreciate 0