Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
IF this render is at all accurate, it becomes apparent that the current crop of BMW designers have made some of the same mistakes they made on the 2 GC and the 4.

One of the mistakes I heard the former designer of the X5 mention was how the crease no longer goes through the doorhandles and we see that mistake in the 2 GC and this render as well.

This video goes over the mistakes in the 2 GC and mentions that as well as problems with the headlights, tail lights, and air scoops.

His take on 4 series - and contrast that to a professional designer like Frank Stephenson who nailed why 4 series was bad (the front) is interesting to see. He likes 4 series but just moves headlights around - ok but would be cool to see how he tackles the grille.

There are some basics in car proportions we need respected overall. How A pillar extended needs to hit the ground at the center or behind the front wheel, not ahead (big problem for front drive car!). How C pillar rests on the rear wheel. How glass should be 1/3 and door height 2/3s for balanced profile. How cars height should be measured by 2-2.5x wheels in terms of height. How car companies use tricks like wrap around headlights to shorten visually the overhang on front (Audi does this a lot!). Etc etc etc. Instead the guy just moves shoulder lines and shrinks headlights but I see not much original, so kind of wasted opportunity but may be he gets better.

BTW, Mercedes A Class sedan had a terrible look to it when it came out. For new generation they fixed all those issues I mentioned above and car is way more resolved. Alternatively, VW Golf 5, where the guy made it with tiny wheels, big glass house, roomy, comfy - as design it was crap and sold poorly and designers was fired and they redesigned that hatchback from 6 onwards and it looked better since.

Overall modern car designs are bad for most part, they age very fast, too fussy, too agressive, too big badges, cars are heavy, wheels are 21 inch on 911 (are you kidding me!), etc.

Here is a video about good design of cars with Gordon Murray commenting all throughout whats wrong with modern car design:

Frank Stephenson on 4 (he made second Mini, Fiat 500, F430 Ferrari, X5 E53, etc so his opinion is significant on the 4 series):

Last edited by Tallest; 08-15-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0