View Single Post
      02-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #40
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Careful with "Project Management." Typically its an even less skilled position than an ME and tops out sooner. "Program Manager" on the other hand will typically have direct reports and a bit more financial runway.

Engineering Manager is really where any motivated ME (or any other flavor of engineer) should be aiming (likely with a first stop at either a formal or informal "Supervisor" position) as that then provides the path for Engineering Director, VP of Engineering, CTO...
just depends on the company and their structuring and job naming. Ive been a project manager, a program manager and a regional manager and did the same thing in all 3, but was called something different at each company.

i agree though, the management side is the place to get to if your goal isnt to be working for someone for the rest of your life. My uncle went the management route with his EE and now is a consultant who helps manages big projects for big companies. If you can develop the management and people skills, you are going to do big things.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50