View Single Post
      10-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F15 View Post
i'm in a similar boat.. in need of advice on a laptop purchase. I've always been a dell guy.. have one macbook.. but now my older child is getting into PC gaming. I want to get him a gaming lapop (as he will need to be able to bring in to friends houses.... on trips.. etc) i'm looking at something a hair above entry level.
something with a 256gb ssd, i7 processor... decent video card...
i see alot of the higher end stuff starts at like 2k...
i was hoping to go no higher than 1200-1500?

any thoughts?
I was in the same boat last year. My son's older desktop and even my decent-at-the-time-I-bought-it (now 2-3 years old) notebook weren't cutting it for newer games. So... for Christmas, my son and I did a combined gift to "us". We built a mid-level gaming rig. It actually made for a nice Christmas morning as there were a bunch of presents to unwrap, being all the various components. We then made a project out of it between Christmas and New Year's, getting it all built and configured. He's 10 so I tried to make it a learning experience.

As others mentioned, you'll get more performance, dollar-for-dollar going desktop but portability sounds like a key consideration.

I would suggest watching bensbargains.com and techbargains.com for good deals to pop up. Dell has some coupon codes to be used in their "Outlet". I can't say how good of a deal they might be without researching a bit but... For example, you can get the Dell G5 15” Gaming (5587) with the i7 8750H, 256GB SSD, 1TB HD, 1060 GTX with 6GB, 16GB for under $1000 with the code, "Certified Refurbished".
Appreciate 0