02-24-2019, 04:15 AM   #371
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
I wish had someone to watch my form (I actually had my PT check my form but that was just by watching videos of it) but over the years I have recorded my self enough times, and have watched enough YouTube strength coaches to kinda have an idea of how to perform it. But you are right about in order to progress you have to constantly make changes, tweak your form, and sometimes even change up your rep range to make strength gains. And if that doesn't work caloric surplus should add some weight on the bar.

My biggest issue is that I get caught in a rut, and never really train as a powerlifter to make serious strength gains. I like hybrid systems that have a focus on strength first but also have enough volume for hypertrophy.

My biggest dilemma nowadays is not having the motivation to go to the gym. I used to never miss a day and whether it was cold, or hot, snowing, or windy I was there 5 days a week. Now I constantly miss days either from being sick, life in general, or not having the motivation to go.

At 41 I think my days of lifting heavy are almost done. Well, I have been saying that for a few years now but for some reason I keep doing the heavy weights, and compound movements. But you are 45, and are still kicking a$$; so that gives me a bit of hope.
Everything the guys have said above me is correct. It's sounding to me like you are getting in a "rut".... and that could be where most of your problems like. Just because you go to the gym doesn't mean that your heart is in it.

I see it day in/day out, same people who never miss a day, but just go through the motions....and they look and perform the same year after year. Don't let this happen to you!

I think you need a "radical change" in your program. Maybe pick a weight that's 60% of your max and focus on building reps up. Try to never leave a week where you don't at least progress some.

It may be just the thing to ignite that spark again.

I went through something Similiar at about 40....early mid-life crises maybe along with work stress. I spent almost an entire year of maybe averaging 1-2 days a week in the gym....half-assed everything, and just got out as quickly as possible.

At the same time, I just dropped my diet altogether and kind of ate what I wanted, when I wanted. During this time, I lost 37lbs. Now I'm a naturally lean person, and I looked like a skinny kid with a swimmer/gymnast build.

But I was looking through some pics my wife found of me when I did my first bodybuilding contest, and it flipped a switch. I also had/have a great training partner that stayed on my ass.

When I made the decision to go back, it lit a fire in me and I couldn't get enough of it. Plus it helped that my body had carried a lot more muscle in the past, and muscle memory is real. It was hard at first, but after a month it was like love at first sight again.

I was seeing changes weekly which just fueled me even more. And since I had already been there and done that, I made quick progress and then even surpassed my old self as I was watching my diet much more closely.

Long story short, you have to find a way to reignite that fire because to me.....you sound more like your burnt out than anything.
Appreciate 0