First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
some dealer page
The dealer isn't the manufacturer of the car. BMW M on its own website listing of M models says it is one of the M models. I'm not saying this because I want it to be or because I own an M340. The manufacturer of the car, and the ///M division, says it is. Not my, our, or some BMW sales lot opinion. It just is what it is.

I agree that the M branding is watered down by adding M badges to a car which isnt built and manufactured fully by BMW M. However, like I said above, the only people who know, know, and everyone else doesn't care. We care, as enthusiasts, and would like to preserve what owning an ///M has represented, but it seems BMW & ///M want to blur the lines somewhat.

I like the idea of a 340 and an M340 where the M340 gets spiced up a bit over the "base" 340 (tune, suspension, brakes, LSD) by adding BMW M tested goodies, and the full M car is far differentiated from the model down as it always has been. It may make more sense that way rather than just calling the next model up from a 330 an M340. BMW could sell "M-lite" packages all day even just so 'suh-dudes' could slap the badge on their car.
Appreciate 0