10-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #11
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I managed to put swirl marks on the black rear deck lid of my (BRAND NEW) Roadster last winter. It was my own fault as I switched the type of ceramic coating I was using on my cars (from OptiCoat to CQuartz UK), failed to read the instructions, tried to manually buff out the improperly applied CQuartz with the WRONG buffing compound...and, so, yeah my own fault...

The thing about ceramic coatings is they are the REAL deal. They are NOT over-hyped "snake oil". They really do last for a year or two. Unlike waxes or polishes, you can't wash them away. You have to use an abrasive process to remove them. If you ever have to buff out an improperly applied ceramic coating you will quickly appreciate just how durable they are. And now you don't need to ask me how I know this!

Anyway...

In buffing out the swirl marks and establishing a whole new process for prepping and applying a new ceramic coating (CQuartz UK), I came across a couple of really amazing products....

If you are looking to buff out swirl marks or light scratches I would suggest trying a bottle of CarPro Essence: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E1Q7VQ4. You can use it manually although I used it with a buffer. Its not too aggressive and best of all, if you plan to put a ceramic coating on your car, you can lay the coating directly on top of the finished surface (no need for a wash and alcohol wipedown which is usually required for ceramic coatings). However, depending on how deep your swirls and scratches are - you might need to start with something more aggressive (as I also did).

I have found the CQuartzUK coating to be better than OptiCoat although the application is different (though no more difficult). If you are looking to put a ceramic coating on your car, I would highly recommend it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4NXNTV

So, yeah, the CarPro Essence worked magic on the trunk lid of my i8 Roadster! It actually ended up looking BETTER than the rest of the (Brand New) car, so I ended up buffing the rest of the vehicle with it before I applied the quartz coating. (Although I didn't have to pay quite so much attention as where I had the swirls on my trunk).

Putting a quartz coating down properly is a major labor of love but well worth it! I did both my i8 and M4 over the Christmas holidays. It took about 3 days (in a garage) to do each car. I just cranked up the tunes and spent 3-4 hrs each day getting the cars done. Unlike wax or polish, the ceramic coating lasts YEARS and looks very deep and glossy if care is taken to apply properly. Dirt just never seems to want to stick to it and when it does most of it will just rinse away. Its great stuff, and if you want to show your car some LOVE, its a really great way to spend some quality time with it...

If anyone wants a step-by-step list of the entire process and the various compounds I use, I'll see if I can work one up.
I would be interested! 😎
Appreciate 0