02-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #74
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I have an Engineering degree, looking cool but being less functional drives me crazy when it comes to things we use every day.

I would love to have a self driving car today, not enough to pay much for it but a decent part of my driving is nothing more than a waste of time in traffic. When I traveled over 8 states for my job I would have paid $15k for it as I could have gotten lots done or slept instead of staring off into space on the highway. Working/riding 8 hours would have been massively better than driving for 8 and then working that night.

I don't see the logic in the end goal being a reason to change things today. I don't think Tesla is that close to a true self driving car for most of my driving. Musk keeps saying it is right around the corner but this has been going on for years. Then his plan seems to be a subscription service so if I buy the S, decide I don't want to pay for the self driving (I sure wouldn't now as I drive 4k miles a year) then I am back to a standard car except he seems to want to design it not to work very well with a driver.

Same with me. I have been a multi car owner for many, many years and having a self drive in the stable would be nice for the morning commute and longer drives. It's not there yet, but I have rode in a self drive taxi before and it was pretty impressive and smooth. I think the cars are closer than the roads are. LOL

He talked about self drive trucks and they are already using them some for their own use. Said it would start out as more of a "follow me" set up with a driver upfront and a few self drives behind that would just follow the first truck - etc. I like them pushing. A dedicated self drive truck lane would be amazing for interstate traffic, but my kids will be taking my DL away before I see that I would imagine.

I can certainly enjoy the discussion and journey even though I do not want one. It's cool tech and amazing in my life time I went from changing carb jets in my work parking lot to a car that can drive across town by itself using no gasoline and can out accelerate most modern sports cars to boot......

But them I'm a geek.