View Single Post
      10-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #16
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

I work on the Cloud Architecture and Governance team for... uh... one of the major wireless telecoms. I'll leave it at that, so as to not draw specific (probably deserved) ire...

We do the whole replace every three years thing too... Dells, HPs, and Apple. I'm not on that side of the IT house but I've never had an issue with any of the HPs or Dells I've had over the last 20 years there... At home, I've got a 2-3 year old Lenovo, my wife has a year old HP, my daughter has a 5-year old Toshiba and we've had a number of others before. Other than the hinge breaking on my Lenovo, which is a known issue, I've never had one fail, that I can remember. The only laptop "repairs" I've done have been "upgrades" or battery replacements when they stop holding a decent charge.

I'm not brand specific at all... As long as it's a brand name with some established history, I usually buy the best deal in the "sweet spot" of price/performance. I am a fan of buying manufacturer refurb, open box, etc. My wife's HP Envy 360 was an Amazon - Like New, from Amazon, not third-party. It was a good $150 or so less than new and just came in a different box. It was "new". I guess the box was just damaged.
Appreciate 0