12-20-2023, 07:11 AM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Not sure if I should applaud your choices or suggest you be institutionalized?
Well, four on the list I have owned and wished I had not sold three of them; I still have the Z4 obviously. The Pinto I owned and basically was my first car, so a lot of fond memories with the Pinto (yeah, I get the committed part). But, a pristine 1972 metallic green Runabout sold on BAT in June 2021 for $17K, sadly, I missed the auction; I would have bought it (my wife would have had me committed I'm assured of that!). The Corvair is a match to the Pinto as an FU to Ralph Nader (true car guys will understand that connection). And the Corvair was a significant milestone for the US industry. I'd add in a an early 1980's Fiero too (can't decide on a 2M4 or a 2M6), but then you would have me committed, but it also is a significant US industry milestone model.

The E30 325i was my first BMW I owned. As I write that, I just realized I left a 1982 E21 320i off the list; I stupidly passed on a pristine sub 50,000-mile example in late 2017 for $13K (it later was flipped on BAT for $25,000). The Merkur is just a cool car (like a Saab). Oh shit, I left off a 1982 Saab 900SE turbo.... The Continental is just one of my favorite cars and was the signing bonus given by the Jets to Joe Namith (which was the first mega player contract in the NFL - at the time). And the Ranger STX I owned too (fond memories there as well).

The Split-Window and '06 Ford GT speak for themselves and are probably the easiest to get out of all on my list.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-20-2023 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 3