View Single Post
      03-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #48
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
For everyday driving it's waaay more than enough. I mean I can barely push the car before I'm past 100mph. In fact IMO it's one of the downsides of high hp cars. My FRS was slow as shit, but super fun because I could push it all I want and only be doing 50mph.

However if it's mainly for the track that's a different story.
Actually...

I've compared data extensively between my Z4 M Coupe (3,200 lbs, 330 HP on 275mm wide R-Comps) and my C7 Grand Sport with Z07 package (3,400 lbs, 460hp on 285f/335r Michelin Cup 2s) on the same tracks. And really, yeah, the C7 Grand Sport is easily 5-7 seconds per lap faster in the same 2.8 mile config*, but all that time comes from between the straights. Corner entry speed and mid corner all the way to the exit is all about the same between the two cars. Terminal speed down some straights can be as much as 15-20 mph though, and that's where all the time is coming from despite the C7 having a lower center of gravity, trick magnetic shocks, and insanely wide sticky tires from the factory AND carbon ceramic brakes.

* And IRL, the C7, despite being 130hp more and 200ft*lbs more in torque, struggles to put all that power down at Laguna Seca in certain turns, resulting in only a 2.5-3 second advantage. I've done LS in real life and also set up my "simulator" rig with both the Z4 M Coupe (basically an E46 M3 subtract 200 lbs) and the C7 Grand Sport, and on my simulation rig the lap difference should be as much as 10-11 seconds but that did not materialize because well, frankly, walls to hit.

To be completely fair, for the track? It really depends on what your intentions are. More power is going to set faster laps, but honestly? I have far more fun with the Z4 M Coupe, because with the C7 Grand Sport all I was doing was passing other instructors and advance students and working through traffic, where as the Z4 M Coupe has just enough power and lateral grip to hang with most cars on track except for the most powerful ones, so there's far more dicing around with friends in the Z4 M Coupe then there EVER was with the Corvette.

Really, if all I was doing with the car is to go the track? I'd rather have the Toyobaru. Because consumables are far cheaper. In 2 years of tracking the Corvette C7 Grand Sport, I'm looking at $3,000 worth of tires and in another year, $8,000 worth in brakes. The tire funds would be enough to pay for an FRS's brakes and tires for 5 years.

There's a reason why "get a Miata" is the right answer to anything related to track.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 3
Red Bread4463.00
Torgus3781.50