View Single Post
      07-02-2020, 01:47 AM   #7
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
Folks, the batteries are cooled by the air conditioning refrigerant. Whether you use the AC inside the car or not, it's running and it's required in order to drive the car. If it fails, you'll get a check engine light or drive train warning. I just spoke to someone who was quoted $18k but ended up paying $8k to replace all the refrigerant lines because the AC compressor sent shrapnel throughout the system. Imagine having every AC line replaced, requiring removal of radiators, the air distribution inside the dash, and the refrigerant lines inside the battery enclosure. That's the issue.
Hmm. The EV range of the i8 significantly increases (by 20% or so) with the passenger AC disabled. I would not expect that the fans alone actually consume that much power. It would translate into something like 2kW/h and 2kW power usage if the 50km are driven in one hour. So there seems to be significant impact on the compressor load (is it really the same for battery and cabin?) whether the cabin AC is on or off.
Appreciate 1