View Single Post
      03-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I realize that, as I currently drive one.
I know . I just figured I'd clarify your response for anyone who didn't get the reference. Plus, I got to take a quick glance at some interesting VW history. As I looked at that Karmann Ghia, it occurred to me how cool it would be to convert one to an EV using the MEB chassis (or at least the motor/gearbox, suspension, and electronics).

Quote:
I suppose the question is why was BMW so late to that party?
Well, in a way they were early, right? The i3 was released years ago. But they blew it by going with an expensive CFRP based architecture that, while cool and futuristic, cannot be used as the basis for a family of lower-cost EVs.

Quote:
It would be funny if VW reverted some models to rwd as BMW ramps up the fwd models.
VW is keeping the current MQB-based Golf and Polo families of vehicles around for at least one more generation, but depending on how quickly their customers switch to EV's, some models may very well begin to disappear next decade in favor of their MEB equivalents.

It is anyone's guess when BMW might have a dedicated electric platform. They have made it clear that their current strategy is to build electric vehicles on their existing CLAR and FAAR (formerly UKL) platforms, even as their competitors have multiple dedicated battery electric platforms in the works. BMW is in a tough place as they are much smaller company than Daimler and VAG. Time will tell if their decision pays off.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00