View Single Post
      05-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #34
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I don't want to call y'all out but, damn that was a derail haha. Can't say that I'm not reluctant to hear that there's other folks out there. I don't want to break up y'alls conversation because there's interesting facts in them, like lifestyles and personalities to consider as well. That's something that I actually like to evaluate almost as much as the knowledge that I would be pursuing.

I think the biggest question was job security with machines like IBMs Watson (which I thought was a clever name) and other very sophisticated algorithms that can just run at the click of a button and some various input points. I can't say I speak enough for the field and that's why I came to y'all. Your background BigDog is very interesting, I'd ask you why you wanted to go through Electrical Engineering (that's where my undergraduate started out) and I also considered a life in Physics through my undergraduate as well [however the backing for my college lifestyle was threatening me if I went into something like physics and I didn't have a plan for life after undergraduate at the time].

The original concerns have been satiated with a few articles that I was able to dig up, the industry seems as though it will have a very significant place in the future. The other concerns was if you needed programming or language logic skills to also provide a useful tool set for the industry. I wouldn't be shy to getting an associates or something similar in computer programming just to get more certified learning of coding under my belt... hell I did four years with Java and Python when I was in high school through a community college, might as well figure something with all of that. I know I have the mind for it, just didn't have the drive back then.

I've started looking into the Actuary career path that was mentioned earlier and the salaries do look extremely lucrative and seems to be rewarding. However, that's really where I look to question that field is what would become rewarding from that work? I realize the salary is one thing, but are there definitive accomplishments that are attainable through that line of work? That's actually a huge selling point for me. Successfully completing programs and various other accomplishments give me more motivation and end up challenging me in a workplace, that's an environment I enjoy but it isn't crucial. It just so happens the knowledge/skills/expertise that I may be chasing after all happens to be lucrative as well. It can't hurt right?

I know I'll come up with some more questions, and y'all are welcome to continue your reunion, I just figured I'd butt in and pick someone's mind again.