08-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #93
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
You make good points. I think this car was meant more to be an engineering exercise than more of a pure performance car as some may argue the M-series (except maybe the X5 and X6) are intended to be. My belief is that this car was meant to show that you can have efficient, modern hybrid technology in a car that is still fun to drive. Most owners unfortunately will not take this car to a track. If they do and want to push this car to 10/10ths, they can fit fatter tires on it. From the factory, BMW is bound to put skinnier tires so that it can get better efficiency in everyday usage.

As for the point on weight, I still believe it's very impressive. A lot of cars are coming out at 3400-3500+ lbs with gasoline engines and fuel for ONE engine. A lot of exotic materials and engineering to be "only" 100-200 lbs less than an E92 is not something to be shrugged off. Again, this car has TWO motors for propulsion and the means to carry the "fuel" for both (fuel in quotes because one of the fuel sources is technically electricity for the electric motor). Batteries aren't light. The Tesla Model S is proof of that (curb weight ~4650 lbs). It might perform well, but that weight doesn't go by unnoticed.

This car has the means to have weight around what you'd expect from most other cars on the road today while delivering a lot more efficiency and while being fun (I haven't driven the car, the "fun" bit is an assumption). All of this is simply something we don't have today, at least not that I can think of: a car that is about average weight, if not maybe a bit below, with a highly efficient propulsion system that is more efficient than other existing solutions out on the roads today, AND fun to drive. Other cars seem to sacrifice performance in favor of efficiency. Or if you want performance, you sacrifice efficiency. I simply can't think of another fun hybrid car on the road today. This car gets us both without costing well over half a million dollars.

I think the key thing is that it all depends on how you define a supercar. A supercar should be fast, sure, but I think the engineering and technology are the main focus of this car more so than its actual performance numbers (which are still respectable). The technology and what it's achieved make it a supercar if you ask me. The numbers only tell one story.

Fully agree with this sentiment. Sheer straight line acceleration, other than bragging rights, isn't what fun driving is all about. Unless you're into drag racing.

The i8 is gorgeous, a technological marvel, and unique. Looks fun to drive. With only 360HP (and not 600) you can take it to the track and wring the hell out of it, and if performance is on par as is being reported with the outgoing E92 M3, then you will have lots of fun in doing so!

BTW, I would take my i8 to the track (with fatter tires, which one of the road reviews mentioned will be available as an option from the factory)

But then again, I'd take my X6M to the track so I am likely not the common demographic, hehe.
Appreciate 0