Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Max Verstappen penalised but blames 'dangerous' Romain Grosjean for crash

Max Verstappen penalised but blames 'dangerous' Romain Grosjean for crash

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...n-monaco-crash

Max Verstappen blamed Romain Grosjean for the collision which sent him into the wall at Sainte Devote and triggered Monaco's race-changing safety car period.

Verstappen was chasing Grosjean down for tenth place late in the race but ended up colliding with the Lotus, which briefly propelled him into the air before he landed in the barriers. After the race the 17-year-old was slapped with a five-place grid penalty for the Canadian Grand Prix and two points on his superlicence, but he insisted he was not even trying to pass the Frenchman when the crash occured.

"It was not even a move," Verstappen explained. "The lap before I braked on exactly the same spot but clearly in the lap we crashed, he braked 10 to 15 metres earlier, and if you are that close to each other and going to 80 from 290 there is no room and you can't go anywhere. I really tried to avoid it and maybe it looked like an overtake but he braked way earlier than the lap before, normally the whole race you are braking within five metres."

Verstappen was asked if he thought Grosjean was "brake-testing" him, to which he replied: "Kind of, he was for sure braking 10 to 15 metres earlier ... It's very dangerous and for sure it will be a bit sore tomorrow."

The rookie said he only realised he was going to make contact when it was too late.

"On the moment he braked [I realised] but then you are too late, because you don't expect someone to brake that early. You have no room to go anywhere."