View Single Post
      09-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #29
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
No, a platform is not those things and “chassis” is an anachronism related to body on frame architecture. Batteries and components rest upon or are integrated into the platform. The platform is comprised of stampings for the floorpan, dash (a term mistakenly used commonly for the instrument panel when the dash is actually the stamping separating the engine compartment), cowl, and in traditional terms, engine box. I spent enough time in my multi-decades auto career in stamping and assembly plants and with body and structure engineers to know this.

The point is that we have many here claiming to be informed about the effects of the platform when, in fact, we/they have no such information at this time. A tear-down or spec from BMW would be needed to know the weight effect of the actual platform.
That is fair, your definition of platform is the traditional(ICE) one(retrofitting), my view of dedicated EV platform is similar to the one below(e.g. battery is part of it).

And it looks like i4 should be the hybrid platform.

My comment of 900lb extra is unrelated to how weights go to which parts, but how dedicated EV platform hits that weight savings, such that customers can materially get extra range, and/or save fuel(electricity) cost.

"Retrofitting: Manufacturers modify existing internal combustion architecture to build an electric car.

Hybrid Platforms: Many modern car architectures have been designed to pair with modular combustion, hybrid, and pure electric powertrains.

Dedicated EV Platforms: Most manufacturers are (or will be) moving to dedicated EV platforms over the next decade. These are basically skateboards consisting of wheels and a battery pack, and offer maximum design flexibility.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/g358...cle-platforms/
Appreciate 1