View Single Post
      09-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
That is fair, your definition of platform is the traditional(ICE) one(retrofitting), my view of dedicated EV platform is similar to the one below(e.g. battery is part of it).

And it looks like i4 should be the hybrid platform.

My comment of 900lb extra is unrelated to how weights go to which parts, but how dedicated EV platform hits that weight savings, such that customers can materially get extra range, and/or save fuel(electricity) cost.

"Retrofitting: Manufacturers modify existing internal combustion architecture to build an electric car.

Hybrid Platforms: Many modern car architectures have been designed to pair with modular combustion, hybrid, and pure electric powertrains.

Dedicated EV Platforms: Most manufacturers are (or will be) moving to dedicated EV platforms over the next decade. These are basically skateboards consisting of wheels and a battery pack, and offer maximum design flexibility.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/g358...cle-platforms/
If referencing that article, I can understand your position. When I check on the writer, the value of his input is quite suspect, having become an auto writer after a stint in sports reporting. Having spent lots of time at press events for new vehicle launches, I find that some writers do their best to represent reality while others put their own spin on information or try to understand information as best they can. I doubt his journalist's understanding has benefitted from much time working with body engineers. The giveaway here in his awkward writing was the jumbled linkage of "platform" to "basically skateboards" which he then goes on to define as including a battery and wheels! "Basically" is the clue of the unsteady logic in writing or speech. BTW, no one has ever defined any platform anywhere as including the actual wheels, as he does.

In any event, whether the weight result of the i4 is due to the actual platform and batteries individually or collectively, we do not know at this time. Everything up to now is pure speculation, perhaps the inevitable product of forums. Once Sandy Munro gets his hands on one to take apart, we will see from where in the vehicle the weight comes versus any comparable vehicles. But, more importantly for me, will be what is the driving experience and is the range sufficient for my needs, not whether is it best-in-class.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0