11-08-2019, 05:10 AM   #1446
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Glad you touched on this. I thought the same thing last week, so I bought a caliper off amazon and tried it. I'm not sure if I'm doing it exactly as I should be, but based off the chart that came with the caliper, I was surprised to find that the scale is more accurate then I though. I still don't think that it's dead-on, but it was close to what the chart stated. I need to look online and watch some videos, to ensure that I'm using the caliper correctly and check it again tonight. Based off the mirror, they aren't very defined, but the top 4 are clearly visible and the "V" around the hip area is very visible. Funny thing is, that in early morning, in low light, I look facking ripped. The only jiggling area left on me is below the belly button. I had originally planned on cutting til around the 15th of this month, based off my math of calories digested/burned and 500 calorie/day deficiency based off the percentage of what I weighed, when I started this section of the process the first week of September. I'm with you on your thinking, I'm mostly like smaller than I realize. I'm also accustomed to seeing myself as fat, so that mental image that we all have of ourselves comes into play as well. I get the stitches removed from my hand Monday, the grips I ordered will be here tomorrow and next Friday is the 15th. If the doc will allow it, next week/weekend will be a complete assault on the weights at the gym.

Mentally I'm like a toy windup car, just waiting for the Dr. to let me go!
Everyone stores body-fat differently. I know some people who can be ripped everywhere, but store it all in their gut. I tend to store it evenly all over my body which actually is luck in it allows me to look leaner than I really am.

Watch a few videos of the caliper measuring and it's best if you can get someone else to do it so it's consistent. 5 site or 7 site is fine. I usually take 3 measurements of the same area and take the average of it.

I still think you are closer to the 14% range than you give yourself credit for. Also remember that it's always a mind game. When people I have trained start losing fat...they second guess themselves. Without a shirt..they are heavy looking but it does appear solid with no loose skin.

As they cut...it becomes softer and they look in the mirror and see lumps where they were not any before, and start to see skin sagging...and it makes them second guess their progress.

This is all natural as once you get past that, the elasticity of the skin returns and you start seeing progress. I have had people come up to me and say..I had a "cheat day" and I look better than the day before. That's because they filled up their glycogen stores, and the muscle has filled out making the skin and underlying tissue look more solid.

That really screws with their head.

One thing about the calipers. Even if you can't get the use of it down perfectly, hit the areas you can easily reach and keep track of the skin-fold measurements. If they go down say form 10mm to 8mm..you know you are making progress. But dieting isn't the only thing that can help that. Adding muscle reduces that skin-fold measurement too.

I think you have some surprising changes coming your way. As a rough guess I would reduce the cardio you are doing to like we discussed, and put the efforts into the weights. And don't sweat if you don't make huge jumps in weight used....even 1-2lbs more or one more rep than your previous workout is progress. You stack a lot of progress like that together over a period of months and you won't help but to notice it.