View Single Post
      11-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #26
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Who does 5-9 over on empty highway?! These laws are idiotic. Speed limits should vary based on traffic congestion and road conditions. Going 55mph in a modern car on open highway is the opposite of efficiency.
Actually my friend, that's exactly how traffic-engineers calculate speed limits. They take road conditions to include exits, entrances, curves, visibility, road surface, surrounding neighborhoods, congestion... and determine the average safe speed for the average conditions on that roadway. You, and I, may (read will) want to go faster but they don't just slap on numbers. As for congestion, unless you're out at 2am, it's always congested. Remember the "average" adage from many police officers - Nine you're fine, Ten you're mine. Obvious exceptions will be in heavy traffic, careless driving and, of course, inner-city or residential areas. However, all are free to buck the system and pay the fines and insurance increases. As for efficiency, put it in economy and accelerate/brake slowly and consistently........ and none of us want that.