R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Actually my friend, that's exactly how traffic-engineers calculate speed limits. They take road conditions to include exits, entrances, curves, visibility, road surface, surrounding neighborhoods, congestion... and determine the average safe speed for the average conditions on that roadway. You, and I, may (read will) want to go faster but they don't just slap on numbers. As for congestion, unless you're out at 2am, it's always congested. Remember the "average" adage from many police officers - Nine you're fine, Ten you're mine. Obvious exceptions will be in heavy traffic, careless driving and, of course, inner-city or residential areas. However, all are free to buck the system and pay the fines and insurance increases. As for efficiency, put it in economy and accelerate/brake slowly and consistently........ and none of us want that.
Really well in NY the state speed limit is 55mph.

Engineers obviously weren’t asked for their input as average speed on LIE is about 70mph.

Here is an NY Times article from 1992 (30 years ago) mocking the 55mph speed limit on LIE lol
https://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/12/n...ehind-you.html
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50