View Single Post
      05-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
Spot on assessment! It may sound great to me and like garbage to you!

For the larger systems the set up is more important than the money spent. I get ahead of the family on movie night and tweak the settings/channel levels to each individual movie for the best experience possible. I have a 15" sub and if I don't keep it under control it can overpower everything else and create a bad sound stage.

Back to the Samsung sound bar. Not sure which brand TV you went with but I have a samsung connected to my sound bar and part of what I like is the communication between it and the TV. I can't speak to if it would be indifferent to a different brand TV but this is an example of my experience.

We have our SAT box, and a PS4 connected to the bar. We have an extra HDMI cable connected to the TV so we can hookup any device we want on the fly like an iPad, camera etc. Optical cable coming from the TV to the bar. We have to interact very little with the bar when switching sources. It intuitively knows what we want it to do and does it if that makes sense.
That was my worry about adding a sub into my system. I went from hating the idea of using a sub to now having subs in two of my critical listening systems. My 2 channel system at my beach home has a 12" Velodyne sub. My main multi-channel system in my primary home has two subs in it: a 15" and 18" Velodyne subs. Both systems are using an EQ system from Velodyne where I can see the exact bass response in room in real time with the included mic. It provides the ability to do an auto EQ and you can see what the response curve is after completion or you can dial it in manually. The EQ box allows me to have different bass EQ tunes for different source material. I primarily listen with the EQ set to Jazz/Classical which provides the most balanced and flat response. But when I want to get some punch, I just push a button on the remote to set the EQ to Action/Adventure. And the nice thing is the bass in the lower frequency range is bumped up but not distorted or boomy.
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2219.50