View Single Post
      03-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #27
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyloxx View Post
Considering either Model3 or ModelY as next Vehicle. BMW is an excellent brand when it come to product content and quality in general.. But they seriously dropped the ball when it comes to progressing the i Line..

Hopefully the iNext fills the void.. We shall see
After a week and 350 miles with TM3P, all I can say is - wow!
The handling, the acceleration, and interior experience have exceeded the expectations.
For all practical purposes, this car should be compared to an ///M3, it just also happens to be electric.

The interior touch-screen is remarkably convenient and intuitive. Now when I get into an ///M3, its tiny UI screen, over-abundance of buttons, and silly iDrive roller make its interior look painfully dated. It's hard to describe how much that TM3 touch-screen dates traditional car interior and legacy user interfaces.

The only favorable comparison point vs. an i3 is that i3 is smaller.
If you need a tiny city car, i3 will be easier to maneuver and park.

A few initial observations that leave room for improvement:
  • TM3 is larger than it first appears. I know it's a strange comment to make, since one can easily look-up TM3's width and length, but it looks way smaller than it really is. Partly due to the super low ride height, and also low metal waistline and tall greenhouse of the Tesla (///M3 looks like a cross-over when you are sitting in TM3).
  • ///M3 seats have better side-bolsters and are overall better than TM3's. TM3 seats are not bad (certainly way better than i3's), but not as supple and cool looking as ///M3's.
  • TM3 Performance suspension is aggressive (whatever I test drove earlier, definitely didn't have it). Firmer than ///M3's comfort mode (if you have adjustable suspension), and roughly similar to Sport mode or ///M3's non-adjustable suspension. I love it, but many will complain that it's too rough for post winter pot ridden streets. Perfect on the highway.
  • TM3's "track mode" turns off the autopilot. I know that makes some sense to someone, but I like the aggressive regen braking of "track mode", and its traction control, and it's a PITA having to choose between the two.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0