01-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTX View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong in financing, 60 or 72 months even. What is important is the motivation... If you finance for a long term because you cannot otherwise afford that is one thing. If you finance because you prefer cash flow or having the money in the bank and the finance charge is reasonably low, then great.

I tend to finance and use my cash for elsewhere, but I can also just pay cash.
In 2014 I bought a used low-mileage '08 Z4 Coupe, $26K. I over-paid for it a bit, but that's CarMax for you. Anyway, I financed it for 5 years (it was already 8 years old), which seems stupid especially when I had (still have) the cash in the bank to buy it. But I got a car loan at 1.9% from my bank where some of my investments are. 1.9% is almost free money when you factor in the cost of money over time. I have a nice low monthly payment I barely even notice and a neat car to drive. The trick is to find a car you really like and know you'll want to keep it long-term. Finance it for 5 years then keep it for another 10.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0