mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
You must work for brighthouse. I've never heard anyone go back to cable after learning about streaming. Cable will be dead in a few years. Poor service, high prices, outdated technology

I am someone who dropped cable about 4 years ago and ended up going back to it after 2 years. Believe me, cutting the cord and going all in on streaming is not ideal for every situation. Let me explain what I went through.

First off, I was already a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriber before I cut out cable TV, so my viewing habits were a mix of cable and streaming. Once my "double-play" service from Comcast reached $175/month, decided something must be done. My service was only for internet and expanded cable TV with HD and DVR. This did not include any movie channels and I also owned my own cable modem, so I did not pay a fee to rent one from Comcast. I called Comcast to see if there were any discounts or to negotiate a new rate, but they weren't having it. At that point I canceled my TV service with them and kept internet only which dropped my bill to about $65/month. My only other option for internet around here was DSL, which was much slower at the time, so that really wasn't any option.

Now down to only streaming with Netflix and Amazon, I decided to get an HD antenna in order to view my local channels and see some of the shows I like. After being spoiled by a DVR, I wasn't going back to watching shows in real-time. After much research for over-the-air DVRs, I found the Tivo Roamio would be my best option. It could work with OTA signals or cable but was rather expensive for the box and lifetime subscription for it. However, that cost was negated fairly quickly with the amount I was saving each month from lack of cable TV.

I was happy with this streaming/OTA setup for quite a while, although there were still several shows and some live sports I couldn't watch which was frustrating. In order to see everything I wanted, I would have needed several streaming subscriptions that altogether would have cost the same or more than the then revised prices Comcast was offering. Ultimately, it made more sense to go back to a Comcast double-play with free HBO that ended up costing less than $100/month. It helped that I could continue using my Tivo with a cable card so I did not have to pay any equipment rental fees.

With the lack of competition for internet providers around here and cable being the service many of us use to access the internet, it will definitely not be dead within a few years for TV or internet. The technology is certainly not outdated. With some content creators wanting to create their own streaming services, you may end up needing more subscriptions for everything you want to watch (ex: Disney leaving Netflix to create their own service). Also, with the monthly data caps many ISPs are implementing, streaming everything may no longer be a viable option.
In all fairness sling, psvue and dtvnow just started in the last ~two years and sling/psvue have dvr service now