View Single Post
      01-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #105
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I use a QNAP NAS as my plex server.
I have an old, old Iomega NAS. I've helped a number of friends install and set up Synology and QNAP (My two go-to brands) NAS boxes for home. I highly recommend them. (...and system architecture at a cloud level is my thing so...)

Problem is... Unless you get one of their higher end units, you may have trouble transcoding HD material. They simply don't have the processing power.

The way I've avoided upgrading my NAS is... I bought a decent but "broken" HP All-in-One off CL. Literally a $1200 machine but Best Buy told this guy it wasn't fixable. With the Beats Audio, all that.

I put an SSD in it, installed Windows. Works perfect. Who knows. Anyways... Instead of upgrading my NAS, I use that as a third PC in my office simply to watch TV, listen to music and be a Plex server. It's an older i7, 8GB, etc. But.... I've got a gb hardwired connection to the NAS. It transcodes better than a new Synology or QNAP NAS would.

Problem is that ONE TV. The Plex app is problematic. Playing Plex through that via the Fire box... no problem.

That's my one-source argument. I don't want me, the wife, the kids to have to switch between inputs or apps. To a point, you need to with Fire and PS Vue or Hulu but... it's one button to "home".
Appreciate 0