Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
I beg to disagree. Everything is relative and those are just numbers. The push that you get from the i8's electric torque just cant be matched in an ICE car. 0-60 times are a false method of judging a cars overall real world performance. Porsche have long been known for long gearing their cars, which really helps there 0-60 times as second gear is well suited to take you all the way there. .
The 911 is faster from any speed of your choosing to any speed of your choosing. They’re gearing is not at all 0-60 targeted. Modern Porsches end 2nd at 80-90mph. 0-60 targetted gearing ends 2nd at 60 or just over.

Torque is generally a negative in sports cars and a benefit in GT cars. If you think about all the great driving/sports cars, they’re all low torque high HP— miatas, real M cars, ferraris, Porsche Gt cars, s2000, maclaren F1, etc. Sports cars reward the experience of driving, and low torque high rpm horsepower enhances that— working for the power makes for a more involving driving experience. In ferraris modern cars, they turn down the torque in all but the highway cruise gears to recreate that experience on a turbo engine.

GT cars are about effortless comfortable speed, which is where torque is a positive... and what the i8 is. Torque, automatic trans, comfort over feedback, etc. It’s a GT car that looks like a sports car.

Being a GT car isn’t a bad thing, it’s just a different thing. The looks make people expect a sports car, which I think is why the i8 suffers in reviews— it’s not what it looks like.
Appreciate 0