View Single Post
      09-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #39
nafelabdal
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
the autonomous driving problem is very hard and the OEMs have decided the amount of risk (i.e. hands off the wheel) they allow.

Also, no one has L3 available. They're all working on it... investing heavily in hardware and developers to build their respective systems (I work with a couple of them). The easy part is keeping speed with the vehicle in front... staying in the lane... etc...most brands do that very well. The hard part is all the unknown variables... road debris, animal, pedestrian, random thing falling out of the truck in front.... and that's not even the local driving... intersections, 4-way stop, yielding to other traffic, and a slew of other things that I haven't written... It's gonna take a _long_ time before it's anywhere near "full" autonomy vs assisted driving.... no matter what Elon says.... which is usually BS.

Agree with you 100%. We are no where near "FULL" autonomy. My estimation is 2035. I am talking about self drive capability that require NO human intervention at all where you can literally sleep in your car. One must also remember that our entire highways, freeways, and roads would have to be converted gradually to "smart" roads to accommodate this leap. I'll be surprised if we achieve this before the mid 2030s.
Appreciate 0