Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Drives 2023 G16 840i

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
The current 6 Series GT 640i is essentially a 5 door hatchback version of the G30 5-Series sedan and rides a bit higher than the latter.

The rear seat space is amazing, same or better than the 7 Series. However, for its asking price you can probably get into a G30 M550i instead and the styling is not suitable for North American tastes that prefer gastly SUVs and CUVs.

BMW needs to realize that no one cares for these GTs and to sell these here as sportier alternatives to a better touring version (G31) is ludicrous...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
customers: we want wagons not SUVs

manufacturers: here's a "crossover" its better than a wagon

customers: buys crossovers as its the only option

manufacturer: people dont buy our wagons so we dont offer them

and from a manufacturing standpoint for BMW its cheaper to produce and sell the SUV here instead of building wagons overseas and shipping them here. they are forcing the SUVs on the public
A little dated review of the 6GT - from the UK - first couple of paras sum pretty well I think:

"To fully understand the position of the new 6-series GT in the BMW line-up you need to look to the past and to the future. The past because the 6 GT takes the place of the old and somewhat confused 5-series Gran Turismo, albeit with a new badge to denote its elevated status. So far, so logical, until that is you note how it muddies the existing 6-series range, which until now has been reserved for more sporting two-door coupé and cabriolets, and the rather lovely four-door Gran Coupé. That’s where the future comes in, because some time in 2018 those cars will be phased out in favour of the 8-series, at which point the positioning of the 6 GT will at last make sense. But what exactly is it?

We’ll turn to BMW for the answer to that, which says its GT models are the true definition of a “crossover”, providing the boot space of an estate and the elevated driving position of an SUV in a car the size of a saloon that has been styled to look like a coupé. Sounds more like a mish-mash to us."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/bmw...rive-whatever/