Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
What is the comparison of achieving ketosis vis-a-vis calories in/calories out for weight loss?

If one is in a state of ketosis, is it then ok to consume more calories than one burns or expends?
There is no valid comparison that can be made here. Calories-in-calories-out is a law of thermodynamics, it's always true no matter what your strategy, you will gain weight if you consume more than you expend. It's not a weight loss strategy tho, and trying to use it as one will fail because it's based on a fundamental misunderstanding of metabolism. Our physiology is hormone driven, not calorie driven, and even the same foods will have different effects under differing hormonal conditions. The misunderstanding arises from considering our metabolism as a meat version of an internal combustion engine, where there is one fuel type (called calories here), and it will always respond in the exact same way to that fuel. It doesn't work like that, your body can either metabolize or store any food you ingest, but in the presence of insulin it will never be able to retrieve any of that stored energy. This is why the "eat frequent small meals throughout the day" is a bad strategy, every time you eat ANYTHING your insulin will rise and lock you out of your fat stores.

I suggest watching this and all of Dr. Eckbergs videos if you want to understand the actual workings of your metabolism.
Appreciate 1
arkie6397.00