12-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
agree with most of what you stated. now why would you buy I3 over Diesel engine? Efficiency, space, performance is all there. I will wait for the real world testing to draw conclusion. Not knocking it down just not seeing the value right now.
DIesels are good in traffic jams for at least efficiency, compared to a gasoline engine, but look at some of the cities of the world...they're clogged with cars and the air quality is horrible. INternal combustion engines in whatever flavor, just aren't great in a city (well, maybe a CNG, their exhaust is much cleaner, but it's still putting out a lot of greenhouse gasses).

SOmeday, we may have the infrastructure and reliability and range with fuel cell powered electric vehicles...first ones for limited release are likely to come in 2015. But it will be a long time before they are able to be refueled anywhere easily.

If you can only support one vehicle, and are concerned with efficiency, diesels are usually better than gasoline powered. They can be high powered, but they still don't have the allure of racing engine speeds and engine sounds people associate with a performance vehicle.

It all comes down to your needs, and the conditions and restraints you need and want for your specific application.

I have a gasoline powered BMW...I would very much have preferred to get it with a diesel, but BMW chooses not to sell it that way in the USA. The majority of my driving is short trips - not very good for an internal combustion engine. I plan to keep it, but am seriously considering augmenting it with an i3 that really doesn't care about short trips and won't care about polluting the oil with the short trips or corroding the exhaust system, or taking awhile to get comfortable. With the i3, you can condition the interior while it is still parked, and ideally, while still on the charger, so you leave with a fully comfortable cabin, and a full charge on the batteries. Trying to do that with an internal combustion engine, and you'll waste a lot of fuel, and run time on the engine. You only get to spin the crankshaft and move those pistons around so many times...ideally, that only happens while you're moving, and only a little bit while stopped. An electric car doesn't really care.
Appreciate 0