02-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Thanks for this greatly detailed response.
I greatly appreciate your thoughts.
I just cant justify myself spending over $1,200 on a watch...

99.9% of the people i meet daily can't even tell a Fossil from an Audemars.
YW.

You may want to look here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926099.

I just posted a blue dial Obris Morgan that runs about $300: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=11.

Blue dials aren't hard to come by. Archimede have a nice one also. (pic below. If you are committed to very modern, sleek looks like that of Movado, you are most likely going to have two options:
  • Spend coin you don't want to spend -- design is expensive. As with household art, original watch "art" costs a lot compared to its more mundane peers. If you don't know what I mean, ask your local kitchen supply guy the cost of Pogghenpol versus similarly well made but typically stylled cabinets, or the cost of Gaggenau versus Wolf or Blue Star, or Lieber versus GE Monogram.
  • Find someone who does a suitable knock-off of a Movado.
The unfortunate truth is that folks buy Movado (and Rado) for what what it looks like more than anything else. That's true to one extent or another for most watches, but far more so with Movado. As far as I know, Movado remains the only watch to be "museum" level in terms of its aesthetic design. Folks will pay for that sort of thing.

If you really aren't trying to impress, I suggest you just take a look at Overstock.com, Ashford, and some other popular grey market sellers and find something you like, both the price and the looks.

To be sure, even folks buying AP watches shouldn't buy them to please anyone other than themselves. Doing the former just seems silly. What kind of mental issues must one have to spend $15K+ in order to gain the approval of someone else? I really don't know, but I sure wish I knew some folks who do that. I'm more than happy to show them how to impress me, of course, that would mean buying the watch for me rather than for themselves.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0