View Single Post
      11-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I'm sure there is, but if I had to guess (and this is a wild but educated guess) I'd say most of the money that goes towards paying for a Rolex goes towards paying for the name and not necessarily for the quality of the materials or the method of manufacturing the watch.

If watches were priced purely on quality, the Invicta would cost, I don't know, $75 and the Rolex would cost $180.

But the retail price of the Invicta is $200 and the retail price of the Rolex is $10,000.

I have no problem believing that the Rolex is actually superior to the Invicta from a quality standpoint, but it's probably not $10,000 superior. It's probably not even $5000 superior or $3000 superior.
There is no comparison between Invicta and Rolex. Their designs are taken directly from Rolex and others. Like previously stated, Rolex is more than a brand although their marketing has done an amazing job at keeping it on the top of the list of aspirational purchases. The movement is reliable and time tested, they use 904L stainless steel- the most expensive in the world, and their designs are timeless (and most copied and counterfeited)

Is a submariner worth $8k? That's subjective- the people that buy them seem to think so. Is an M3 worth the price over a Ford Focus? People that don't understand the mechanical marvel of automatic movements will almost never get it. It's not about accuracy and it's not about price. An automatic will never be as accurate as a quartz and you can but an automatic watch for a few hundred.

Many people who are into cars are into watches. I would even go as far as saying that the people who buy a car and dress it up for looks rather than performance would be more inclined to buy an Invicta over the original design submariner. That isn't to say that some people just don't have the means to buy an $8k sub and buy something more affordable but as soon as they can afford it, they will certainly buy one.
Appreciate 0