03-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #24
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
C6 Z06 engine has a tendency to drop valves into the cylinder causing catastrophic failures. If you're going to get one, make sure the springs on the valves are/were replaced with aftermarket ones of the HIGHEST quality. I had a co-worker who dropped a valve in his Z06, GM replaced the first engine, then promptly within the same year dropped another valve in the replaced engine, and GM basically saying "the first one on us. Not so much on the 2nd" and he sold the car immediately after the $20K engine replacement.

Of course, this could have ALL been avoided if he replaced the valve springs ASAP after purchase.
This is true. I would hope anyone going into a purchase like that would be informed as it was all over the boards for awhile.

I think I had my Cartek 4X Heads/Cam package purchased and waiting before the car was even in my garage. They were worked over with Solid SS Valves and upgraded valve guides.

Granted this was overkill....but I was upgrading a lot of stuff. And really, the car had enough power stock now that I look back on it. Much more than I could handle. The best upgrade I ever made was driving classes.