View Single Post
      03-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #21
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

It's an apples to oranges thing. On the ICE side, you have the entire fleet of vehicles available for sale in the US. On the EV side, you have a shockingly low selection.

Let's assume you want to spend less than $70k, don't want a Model 3, and want at least 200 miles of range. You've got the Bolt, the Leaf, the Kona, and the Niro. That's about it. Four whole choices. All compact-ish economy car hatchbacks. Want any other kind of car? No dice. It's the Model 3 or those four choices in a single form factor that represent the entire lineup of EVs with reasonable range in the US.

Should you decide you can live with less than 200 miles of real world range, your list expands to the Ioniq, Cooper SE, and i3 (the latter two have not much more than 100 miles of range). All are hatchbacks again, and the Mini only has two doors. At least the interiors are more upscale. But they are actually smaller than the first three choices, further alienating audiences. Still, we are now are at seven hatchbacks.

If, unlike a typical auto buyer, you can splurge over a $70k budget, the list grows by four more to include the Model S, Model X, I-PACE, and e-tron (all with usable range). To cite an even further outlier (to the point of statistical irrelevance), if you splurge even more and live with the low range, there's the Taycan.

So when the article says "EV sales decreased" it really means the sale of three specific economy car hatchbacks decreased.
Appreciate 2
Alfisti6500.50
F32Fleet3570.00