View Single Post
      03-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The article said "point to a philosophy on Tesla’s part that believes" which is not a conclusion per se but rather it might point that way. The articles mentioned at least 3 cases of this going on and apparently there are more if you read the Tesla chat rooms.
I hear you, but I think the language he's using gives the wrong message. To me, it's not an accurate way to describe the attitude Tesla has. It sounds to me like its a few isolated cases, not a wholesale reflection of the attitude of the company. Mind you, I don't deny that the company may very well be in the wrong in these cases.

Quote:
So the writer asked Tesla for clarification but so far (months later) have not received a reply. If it's as clear cut as your take suggests, then you'd think the Tesla would've responded to them by now.
I wholeheartedly agree that Tesla needs to make their policy more clear. Absolutely.

That said, there could be any number of reasons why individual cases have not been resolved, including possible suspicion of fraud, tampering or other legal circumstances. I don't expect public comment on all of that. I do expect them to make right anything that is justifiably unfair or genuine wrongdoing on their part, yes.

Quote:
The "misconfiguration" quote was the "Brett" case in which Brett said the car was equipped with Ludicrous Mode as indicated by the menu option and the underlined P100D badge, which is normally used to indicate a car equipped with Ludicrous Mode from the factory. If it was a 'free preview" or in any way software glitch as you surmise and Brett shouldn't have those features permanently, then shouldn't Tesla have told Brett that before they sold it to him?
Yes, if the car was sold that way, they absolutely should have.

Quote:
This may point to (again, not a conclusion) that there may be something more. I'm not making any judgement call either way and have no dog in this fight since I don't buy used cars and I don't like the look of Teslas and won't buy one, but this is something that Tesla needs to make an official statement on to clarify sooner than later.
I would go by the numbers. Surely thousands of these vehicles have changed hands. Have the features been stripped in most of these cases? If not, then this statement:

Quote:
"Based on these reports and others, it certainly seems that Tesla feels that options like Autopilot and FSD and Ludicrous Mode are tied to the owner of the car that paid for them, not the car itself,"
Can be ignored, and instead, we can seek a better way to describe what's going on. Like you, I don't have a stake in this, but my intuition tells me that these cases are the rare exception, not the rule. And furthermore, there is likely a rational explanation.

I do hope that all those involved have their cases resolved in an acceptable way because no one wants to see the customer bent over by the big corporate machine.
Appreciate 0