Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Although this flu bug is running rampant, the response has been horribly overblown. The normal influenza - which is also a coronavirus with the same age/risk factors, and the same symptomatic M.O. - kills on average 4,000 people a week; many, many thousands a year. People are oblivious to the stats or just don't care, yet they act like the world is going to end over this. The media won't tell you about the large majority who recover. They only cite deaths which add to the hysteria of society's lemmings.
I was in agreement until this paragraph.

This is not influenza.

And your numbers aren't apples to apples. Influenza is EVERYWHERE. You want real numbers? Wait until SARS-CoV-2 has the same infiltration as influenza. Until then, you're just guessing.

Beyond that, it's not even about COVID-19, it's about everyone not getting it at once, and if you're not doing everything you can to socially distance yourself, then you're part of the problem, not the solution.
I KNOW IT'S NOT COMMON INFLUENZA (...but it is damn similar in terms of transmission, symptoms, age/risk factors, etc.). That wasn't the point I was trying to convey.

Furthermore I CANNOT SOCIAL DISTANCE in any meaningful way. I don't have that luxury. It's what I signed up for when I became a cop. Much in the same way that I signed up to [potentially] die for somebody that likely despises what those in my profession stand for and who couldn't care less about me and my safety. It is what it is.

P.S. I look at the real numbers of COVID cases. I pay attention to the numbers regarding recoveries and those not in critical condition. The actual death rate is very low relative to the number of cases. In fact the last report was a little more than half a percent (...lower than Wuhan China's 2-3.5%). So if we look at it another way, 96%+ recover from this just fine. Statistics vary a little depending on whose numbers you choose to believe, but even with the worst statistic I've seen in the last month, 90% of people recover.
Appreciate 0