05-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #54
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I got my driver's license in Michigan. Just over Ambasador Bridge from Canada. And there I had to worry and look out for Smokey while pulling 165mph runs outside the tracks.

Then I come here, and literally trade my license for a German one with no additional hasslle (and even before than for 6 months your US license is good) and woila! No more pesky speed limits! And guess what? It's FINE! No more crazy crashes here than anywhere else. The roads are nice, and people stay right except to pass. Otherwise you get a missile up your ass. Like it should be.

And if you do get caught, it's by a camera. 25 over is 30 Euro. No one will chase you down for doing 30 over.

That's why I call this country civilized. "Felony" and "Speeding" should not be used in a same sentence in any modern nation. And if they are, that nation (including US) is doing something majorly wrong. There is a better way. No one should go to jail because they drove.The end.
I grew up in Europe as a kid due to parents occupation and spent time in Germany as well. And full disclosure I know nothing about Canadian laws except the fact that drinking age is 19 and I spent my weekends in Vancouver, BC 19-21

Americans will NEVER go through what Germans and other EU countries go through to have roads like that. And heck, we lock everybody up then we talk about our freedom & etc.

Europe vs Merica...... Our EU friends can chime and as it has been a while since I followed their rules / laws.

1. Driving age is 18 pretty much anywhere in the rest of the world (you can start going to drivers-ed in US at the age of 15....)

2. Driving is still an option / luxury in Europe due to extremely well public transportation systems. In US it is pretty much required since most people live in the middle of no where.

3. In EU you go to a driving school (outside of your actual school) at least for a year before getting your license. Courses include, CPR, almost full mechanics training as well as detailed comprehension & understanding of a typical cars features. In US, you take a quarter of drivers ed while in highschool, you go take a test without ever going on the freeway and they hand you a license. Most Americans wouldn't know how to open their car's hood and call AAA when they get a flat tire. They get their car towed when they see a warning light indicating their washer fluid is low

4. Taxes / Fees / Tolls: I am not going to get into it but in the US we are just not willing to pay for good roads. In some states, cities, we are forced to pay tolls but nothing near what is going on across the pond. It takes tons of $$$ to maintain those autobahn so that cars can drive at speed. Meanwhile in the US, my car is declaring V1 (aviation term) after 80mph on a typical US freeway and your life is on God's hand if you hit triple digits. ...not bec of the laws but bec of the infrastructure. Our bridges and roads are falling apart (literally). Then of course if you do get caught you go to jail and get locked up with all the murders and rapist......but wait, if you have bunch of $$$, you still are a free person!

5. Driving on the left lane...... That just pisses me off, you guys all touched on it already! -Tons of clueless idiots!

Merica

Overall, consider yourself lucky that Germans are still allowing American's to turn in their licenses in exchange of theirs. Enjoy the lovely driving experience there

Having said all of that, if I were that kid who stole the AMG, I would be more worried about my dad killing me vs the law itself!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50