View Single Post
      01-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #29
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
I'd shy away from the Tag. They charge a premium for the brand name that doesn't yet match their reputation.
And they want to make that reputation with celebrity endorsements . After finding even more negative comments of chrono buttons (of exactly the model I'd buy) falling off, decided not to pay a big premium for questionable quality. But it's a great looking watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Oris and Hamilton are rock solid. No fuss and reasonably priced. You definitely will get what you pay for (in a good way).
Good to know. Since I'm after value, not a name brand, any of those 2 brands (or others) would be fine. Just have to find the watch I like best with the features I want. I definitely want a strap with a clasp due to excessive strap wear by the typical 'D' ring, so another reason the Hamilton X-Wind is out (great value though).

Another question folks: leather bands don't wear well over time due to sweat, correct? I like that Hamilton Jazzmaster chrono (and another with blue chrono hands) but might be a bit too dressy. Leather looks better, obviously, but read that nice rubber straps are more comfortable, and with a clasp should last almost forever if not abused, right? Comments welcome.

Will definitely wait until I can try all the candidates on somewhere before buying, as I need to make sure they don't look ridiculous on my 7" wrist. I would buy a 40mm one blindly, but all of the candidates I'm considering are 43mm and above, and most don't list the height, which is another critical dimension IMO. Thanks a bunch for all the help. And yes, comments of any other brands are welcome .
Appreciate 0