11-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #1415
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
After looking up a few products this morning, and I'm still digging, I've seen the hooks, straps and whatnot. I may get a pair and use them while my hand is healing, but most likely won't continue to use them after recovery is over. It's looking like I would mostly only gain the benefit of pull movements by using them, but I'll take what I can get for the moment; anything is better than nothing.

I figured some form of shade would be thrown. I take no offense to it though. Even though I'm still relatively new to going to the gym, when I see these guys come in and strap themselves up with all this gear (i.e. wrist straps, knee wraps, o2 deprivation masks, belts and whatnot) I kinda chuckle to myself. I mean, I'm working out at a Planet Fitness (I know, I know....it's basically the Wal-Mart of gyms) for christ sake; it isn't like they even have the equipment to justify using a belt. It's not like any of these guys are actual body builders or even real athletes. Don't get me wrong, we have some bigger guys that come in there, but none of them are what I would call shredded, just big and high body fat %. The guys that I talk to in there, that lift big weight, are not into counting their calories, paying attention to macros or have any sort of goals (or methodology of how to achieve them), it's all just continue to eat whatever they eat and lift as much weight as possible.
Yeah I mean to each their own, I am in all support of gear that is used correctly or needed. I'n your case you're using it to keep progress moving even though you're handicapped, which is respectable. Fact of the matter is majority of the time that gear is not needed and the person is just out here trying to look the part because they saw some bloke on instagram wearing cool looking gear.

With lifting straps I think you do a disservice to your forearms. With wrist supports I think you weaken your wrists over time, etc, etc. Now some people actually need the gear, i.e. bad knees/elbows/wrists. But when I see a young bull waltz into the gym and wrap his knees and lace up his power lifting shoes to squat 185lbs it grinds my gears lol.

And at the other end of the spectrum when I see people actually moving some weight the supports and straps don't even cross my mind. Because they're being used as they're intended to be.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00