09-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #54
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Yes make M versions of all the upcoming FWD cars, SUV's, 7-Series etc... And while we are at it, bring the Rolls Royce Phantom M660iXdriveL to life. But don't build a M1, Z4 M or anything that real enthusiasts -the exact same group of buyers who made BMW big- care about or want.

I'm fairly sure BMW did not get ''big" selling M1's or ZxM's... I think it was probably more to do with high volume sales of core 3-er, 5-er and X product lines, being bought by people who are not "real enthusiasts", but just people who want a nice car.

Also I doubt BMW will make M versions of all the upcoming FWD cars, or the 7 series, and probably not the entire SUV line, and I'm pretty sure they also won't touch the Rolls-Royce brand with the M name, or infact any BMW model nomenclature.

But yes you're plainly correct, BMW obviously don't build "anything that real enthusiasts" care about ... how will they ever survive without a few hundred Z4M sales per year...</sarcasm>

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
M division knows more about weight-saving than 'i'. They know much much more.

That's how M division save weight. Effective, cheap and straight forward.
Aerodynamic? Of course this i8 is more aerodynamic than any M car and that's because except the M1 every single M car has been based on a production car.
Efficiency in drivetrain? I'm not sure what you mean.
Umm, they made some parts out of CFRP, they took out alot of stuff, and made some parts out of lighter metals... not exactly that different to the techniques employed with the i8...

.. also.. cheap? The CSL was 40-50% MORE expensive than the M3.

Last edited by Matski; 09-16-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0