vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Over 40 try something else.

The number one issue with CF is that it encourges improper form. Consequently a lot of people develop joint injuries especially if they were not already living an active lifestyle. I say go for it if you always keep "proper form" in the forefront.
Meh

42 here, I've been crossfitting for about 4 years. I'm in the best shape of my life and making slow-steady gains every week. No injuries from CF. My current box covers the age range from 16 to 70+. Any good box will provide an "on-ramp" type starter class and help scale the workouts accordingly to ability, strength, and mobility.

If your coach is not correcting improper form, you are at the wrong box and the coaches are no good. That said, as others have mentioned, check your ego at the door and concentrate on working the movements deliberately. Speed only comes with experience once your muscle memory is developed.

Def try out several boxes to find the right fit and the best coaching. Make sure you join one that encourages a solid warm up and regular mobility/stretching regiment. They are not all created equal.

As for the comments about high cost...it's all relative. Is the cost on par with the unlimited plan from planet fitness or whatever? No...but you are essentially getting a personal trainer (with a good box). I don't see too many folks making good gains with good form from generic DIY gyms, and most people peter out after a few months getting bored or stuck in rut.

This is the single best investment you can make in your future.

95% of the haters have never even tried it.
Appreciate 1