First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
From looking at the information on the little B38 engine in the i8. The belt drive only runs 2 items. A coolant pump and the starter motor generator. The coolant pump is obvious. The Starter motor generator is the device that starts the ICE and generates electricity for the battery when the engine is running and supplies an electric motor boost to the ICE under “boost” conditions. The air conditioner is powered by a electric unit not a belt. There is a fat 8 ribbed belt that handles all of this through a pendulum belt tensioner.
No where can I find a replacement schedule for this belt. Looking through the service pack that came with my car only 3 services are ever mentioned and tied to specific oil change intervals. At every 2 oil changes replace ventilation microfilter and check door hinge bolts.
At every 3rd oil change replace the spark plugs.
At every 4 oil changes replace the engine air filter element and replace the door support struts. That’s it.
There are other checks associated with scheduled maintenance and condition based service reminders, but nothing about the drive belt anywhere.

Frequently replacing the drive belt probably isn’t a bad idea as you can’t start or operate the ICE without it.

In cars with a critical belt driven overhead valve assembly (timing belt) usually the manufacturer recommended belt replacement interval is 60,000 to 100,000 miles or 7-10 years regardless of miles. I guess 4 oil changes if your doing it every 15,000 miles does add up. But every 2 oil changes seems a little overdone. Also the belt only costs $23 and looks like an easy job.
I personally change my oil every 5,000 miles as turbochargers really like clean oil for long life.

Anybody else out there with a higher mileage i8 had their belt replaced?

Last edited by Coastali8; 08-19-2019 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0