Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bryan View Post
Hire college students instead
More likely to stay since a call center seems more appealing that flipping burgers at a mcdonalds, plus a college student won’t complain about less work hours since they’re already busy with school
That's a pretty dumb idea, and will achieve the opposite of his goal of keeping good employees. College students are the most flaky, unskilled, and temporary employees you can have. Unless they start as interns with the potential to get a better position within the company, they will be off to another job as soon as they graduate.

To the OP: benefits certainly will help retain good people, and so will a good environment. My first job out of college was at an insurance company. The department hired mostly entry level people fresh out of college, and had a 50% turn over each year. The benefits sucked, and the pay was not competitive with the industry. These factors made the environment seem more stressful, because the high rate of turnover caused more work to be dumped on those who stayed. I personally know people who have stayed at their job only because of the benefits. My neighbor runs his own business, and his wife works at a company for peanuts. She stays there because the benefits are good and allows them both to have insurance.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0