View Single Post
      02-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #22
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I'm in Starbucks this morning and the man in front of me orders his coffee. He pulls out a $10 bill and then 3 quarters after the cashier already entered $10 as amount tendered. Doe in headlights! I can see the panic on her face. She is trying to count on her fingers, which seems to confuse her even more. Her hand is in the change drawer picking up coins, then thinking twice and putting them back. I think she is about to hyperventilate. The man eventually tells her 14 cents. She takes a deep breath and says thank you, I can't do math in my head. She then shorted him $1.00 because she still can't grasp the change part and has to call the manager to open the register. Really? Don't they teach simple math in freakin 1st or 2nd grade.

Unfortunately, I have seen this many times. It seems to be the norm with the younger generation. And this is the future of our country.

Pretty sad and scary at the same time.

Bets on how many posts until this goes political?
When I was a retail manager, day one of training was how to count back change.

Step 1. DO NOT put the money (in the event that the customer pays cash) in the slots in the cash till! It goes on top of the drawer so the customer does not have the ability to say "I gave you X amount"

Step 2. DO NOT look at the computer register screen to determine the customers change. I would go ballistic on my employees for doing this.

Step 3. COUNT the money backwards from change to dollars. Start with pennies until you reach a multiple of 5 or 10, then nickel or dime until you reach a multiple of 25, then quarters until a dollar, so on and so forth. Once the amount of change is determined verify that amount with the computer/register to ensure the amount is correct. If not correct, verify the math. If still not correct ensure everything on the screen is correct.

Step 4. Count the money back to the customer in reverse starting with change until you reach the amount the customer provided.

Step 5. Once the customer puts their change away then, you can put the cash they gave you in the appropriate slots.

My employees loved and hated me but their ability to do their job without computers was a direct reflection of me and my business. I refused to settle for anything less than satisfied customers and competent employees.

I did have an employee screw up to the tune of $1k cash on a deposit once. I made her drive 30 miles from her home to my office, on her day off, on her birthday to fire her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I agree that she should have been able to do the simple math, but the older generation on here is way to quick to jump the gun and blame them for having access to information at the touch of their fingertips? Your assumption is that since we have access to this technology that it makes us lazy, but maybe you should consider that some people are just lazy and others have drive and ambition? The majority of laziness that I encounter is from the older generation at my work, entitled to believe their position can't be taken(It can, I have).

I'm young enough that I had a smart phone at the start of my first job, that said I could definitely trash majority of you in math(hard to quantify the type being as there are so many variations so I'll just be vague) to any degree?

Ever think maybe she was new and nervous? Anxiety can stop a lot of people dead in their tracks.
My man, no disrespect here but your age is showing. I agree that some have drive and some do not but there is no need for you take offense here as none of it is directed at you solely. We as the older generation have been around long enough to read people, mannerisms and reactions to know lack of understanding when we see it.

Would not the laziness that you have encountered at your place of employment be based on specific individuals as well and not just the "older generation?" Such as you describe above. Not all older people are lazy. Taking positions of older people is nothing to brag about it, it happens, it's science we've all done it. If it didn't happen, people in their 80's would still be doing the same jobs and the younger generation would all hold entry level positions.

A bit of advice. Don't make assumptions that you can trash anyone, especially the majority of us, with math or anything else for that matter. There is a big difference between being cocky and confident. Hint: confidence is the quieter of the two. A confident person doesn't have to explain his worth, it's evident.

Also, making the post that you did, actually shows that this alleged mentality of the younger generation being lazy struck a nerve with you thus displaying insecurities on a subconscious level otherwise you wouldn't have posted at all.

Not being a dick here, just offering some advice.

Last edited by King Rudi; 02-20-2019 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 10
DETRoadster11462.50
Run Silent15127.00
cmyx6go15696.50
omasou2088.00
RickFLM410971.00
Marc08EX138.50