09-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
I am PMP certified and the sole purpose I got it was to be able to be qualified for some positions that specifically ask for it and also get a leg up on other PMs. Now if you ask me if having the certification made me a better PM, the answer is a big fat no.

What you described with the course is a testament to the fact that the certification is hard to study for and you have to check out common sense at the door when studying for it. The crash course is just to get you through the exam and nothing more. If you have the time and energy, go for an MBA or a more specialized certification/masters degree rather than PMP/6Sigmas out there.

Good luck!
^^^Pretty much the primary driver for my decision. I was just a little let down with the course. First 15 minutes - instructor says, "This isn't teaching you Project Management - it's getting you ready to pass the exam". I'm like what a fucking waste of my next four days.

But I figured the certification would remove 1 potential road block throughout my life - so it's a benefit on the resume!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Another thing, i feel they are better suited to positions a level higher than they suggest. it really is more about big picture thinking and systems processes rather than the ability to effectively manage projects at the hands on level.

A Director or VP may be better suited to the course than a Manager or Snr Manager imho.
^^^I'm currently at that level career-wise. I could appreciate certain components of the class...but it really felt basic and bland. It was more about understanding the concepts and definitions than it was putting actual process into practice...which was the let down. Totally agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo0109 View Post
PMP is like MBA... it looks nice to have it but not necessary to obtain jobs in PM industry nowadays. I would look into Scrum Master, Scrum Owner, and Agile Project Management certificates as they are more relevant and are competitive certifications to have. I work in tech/travel industry where PMOs play a huge role in development and tracking. Most of PMs that I work with have PM certificates but all suggest to get Scrum and Agile certifications if people want to stay competitive. Just my 2 cents.
I've looked into SCRUM lightly as I always thought the Black Belt was the holy grail of lean management. I'll definitely take a look at SCRUM though!!
Appreciate 0